Adsense Placement
I haven't fooled around with Adsense and this question could relate to other advertising venues.

Where is the best place to put ads for your affiliates and such? Some people say between the paragraphs that relate to the affiliate's products or services and some say to place them down the side of your blog or webpage. Above the fold, below the fold?
The ones I have on my blog, are on the side, since I'm using one of the templates that Blogger offers. I think they might do better, but I try to have fun things on that side and usually people get to them... I guess!
I typically pick something apparent, but not obtrusive. If it's in the middle of content, I wouldn't want to use the site. Pick the top, sides, and/or bottom (no more than 2 of those).
Your ideas make sense. I was thinking about the way people actually go through text online, and the fact that they actually scan more than read. What I might do is make a blog that has Adsense on it, which means starting another blog, and watching what happens as I place ads in different places.
So far I haven't been successful in tracking which of my ads get the clicks, but in some cases I like to have an ad that's at the top of the page where you don't have to scroll down to see it, hopefully related to a hot topic of the text.
I did my ads with the colors very close to the blog, so they look almost like a part of whatever is written there. They are not intrusive and they are definitely discreet. For not being that obvious, I've had more clicks in 5 months than one of my friends in 2 years!
I agree with SageMother about scanning when you read online. It's not the same as reading a book. I always scan when I am reading something on my computer.
berlinlife06 Wrote:The ones I have on my blog, are on the side, since I'm using one of the templates that Blogger offers. I think they might do better, but I try to have fun things on that side and usually people get to them... I guess!

On my blogger sidebar I have widgets for my other blog, and a few other things, so I don't know if I could fit anything else there. How many elements, or customizable boxes, can you have in your sidebar?
SageMother Wrote:On my blogger sidebar I have widgets for my other blog, and a few other things, so I don't know if I could fit anything else there. How many elements, or customizable boxes, can you have in your sidebar?

You can put as many as you want! I have the Google Ads among them, in between. Also, if you leave lets say 15 days of content be on your blog at a time, then you have plenty of space on the side to put ads and widgets and info, and links and other visitors. Besides, my blog entries are sometimes longer and with pictures, so that allows me space on the side too.
That does sound like a nice area in the color. I think an add placed in white is a little harsher looking. The colored background is better.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Adsense acting weird berlinlife06 11 6,074 08-27-2007, 03:39 PM
Last Post: berlinlife06
  How do you Adsense? berlinlife06 7 4,468 06-21-2007, 09:13 AM
Last Post: berlinlife06
  High paying words on Adsense berlinlife06 8 4,747 05-22-2007, 09:55 AM
Last Post: ACCER
  Adsense.com history?? llegent 8 4,580 08-13-2006, 03:50 AM
Last Post: andreww38